This briefer is an update of “Unrest
in Burma’s Arakan State: A chronology of events.”
• 62 people have died as a result of the
unrest in Arakan State from 28 May to 21 June.
• Over 2,000 buildings, including seven
mosques and nine Buddhist monasteries, have been destroyed.
• 90,000 people have been displaced.
• A court sentences to death two Rohingya
men accused of the 28 May rape and murder of a Rakhine woman in
• Bangladesh pushes back more than 2,000
Rohingya fleeing violence in Arakan State. Bangladeshi FM says
Bangladesh cannot take any more refugees from Burma “under
• UN says that the underlying tensions
that stem from discrimination against ethnic and religious minorities
pose a threat to Burma’s democratic transition and stability.