ALTSEAN-BURMA – TRAINING INTERN (advertised June 2015, for immediate appointment for qualified candidates)
Altsean-Burma (the Alternative Asean Network on Burma), a Bangkok-based human rights group, works with a broad range of people from Southeast Asia and beyond, to promote the cause of human rights and democracy in Burma. We are known in the Burma movement for our campaigning and advocacy activities, our publications, and our training programs.
We are looking for a multi-skilled woman to join the training team as an intern for six (6) months (or more), carrying out the duties listed below while maintaining a sense of humor. Women candidates who have experience volunteering or working in the Burma movement or other human rights movements will be at an advantage (many of our trainees are women who have survived or been exposed to serious human rights violations). Applicants from Burma are encouraged to apply.
This position will give the successful applicant the opportunity to contribute directly to the capacity of women and youth activists who work in challenging conditions for human rights in Burma. This position will suit an individual who is highly efficient; comfortable working in close collaboration with a team of diverse people, willing to work long hours and able to observe the strict discipline and security protocols of the office.
The Training Team is comprised of the Training Officer (coordinates and implements various aspects of our training programs), the Coordinator (delivers several off-site training workshops and participates in key decision-making concerning design and implementation of programs), the Accountability & Fundraising Officer (assists with donor liaison), and 2 members of the Administrative staff (management, logistics, risk assessment and accounts support). The successful applicant would ideally start as soon as possible. The successful applicant may be offered a fulltime position, subject to work performance and funding.
Altsean-Burma usually has 2 Training Interns. The following tasks will be shared between the two positions, with possibility of specialization.
Women of Burma Internship Program (intensive 5-month in-house program for 6 women from diverse organizations in Burma)
1. Develop, review and update the curriculum, training materials and lesson plans for the Women of Burma Internship program, as directed by the Training Officer and Coordinator. NOTE: This work will require research and writing modules on a range of topics.
2. Deliver classes and facilitate workshops for the Burmese women interns on a range of topics. Subjects include human/women’s rights, office and project management, problem solving, Burma issues, health, intercultural issues, politics and general knowledge etc. Specific assignments will depend on the successful applicant’s level of knowledge and confidence.
3. Other duties relevant to the Women of Burma Internship and Alumni program which includes:
i. Correction of interns’ homework and assignments.
ii. Implementation of Burmese women interns’ outings in compliance with security protocols.
iii. Recruitment of new Women of Burma interns including review of application forms and participation in interviews.
iv. Implementation of the Altsean-Burma Intern Alumni Program including follow-up contact and activities.
Off-site Training Programs (Advocacy, Economic Literacy, Transitional Justice/Women Peace & Security, and other trainings delivered outside the office)
1. Develop, review and update the training materials for off-site trainings, including Advocacy (various aspects, 119 workshops delivered already), Economic Literacy (macro-economic policies for development, 57 workshops delivered already), Transitional Justice (introductory level, incl women's participation in peace process, 5 workshops/lectures delivered already), and a range of other topics, as directed by the Training Officer and Coordinator.
2. Ensure all relevant files are up-to-date, tabulate evaluations, and provide logistical support as needed.
3. Track organization and implementation of offsite trainings, and engage in follow-up communications as needed.
1. Assist with other admin tasks, assist with accountability and reporting requirements of training programs, including writing narrative reports
2. Maintain databases relevant to the training program.
3. Other tasks as directed.
TERMS OF CONTRACT:
* Duration of 6 months, minimum. The successful applicant may be offered a fulltime position, subject to work performance, team dynamics and funding.
* Minimum of 40 working hours per week, excluding public holidays. The training intern is required to be on call two weekends per month.
* Five working days annual leave for the 6-month period or pro-rata equivalent.
* A three-month probationary period applies.
Monthly allowance of 11,000 Thai baht.
Supporting documents will be provided to enable application for a non-immigrant visa before arriving at Altsean. The training intern is expected to cover their initial visa-related expenses to Thailand.
Accommodation in a furnished room at the office or at an apartment used for security storage, depending on availability of either option.
* Most meals at the office on workdays.
* The immediate supervisor of this position will be the Training Officer.
The intern should cover their own travel to and from Thailand to take up this internship. This position may involve travel to conduct or assist with trainings on location along the Thai Burma border and potentially in other nearby countries. In such situations, Altsean-Burma will take care of logistics and expenses per the Staff Manual.
Respect for and adherence to the security precautions of the Altsean-Burma Secretariat is essential. The Secretariat team is made up of people from a broad range of backgrounds; therefore cultural sensitivity is a priority. The Altsean-Burma Secretariat is a non-smoking workplace.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested individuals should apply by email at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the reference code INT/TRAIN JUN 2015 in the subject line.
The application must include:
* A duly filled application form.
* A complete résumé / CV. Applications submitted in any other format will not be considered. Short-listed candidates may be required to submit written responses to scenarios provided by Altsean-Burma prior to the interview.
* We will assess applications and interview viable candidates on an ongoing basis. We reserve the right to award the internship to the first qualified candidate that would be a good fit for our team.
ENQUIRIES: Debbie Stothard, Coordinator. Tel + 661 686 1652 or email@example.com.
OPEN-ENDED and to be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS