We currently have one vacancy at ALTSEAN-Burma listed below:
Deadline for applications: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Preferred start date: 1 August 2016
ALTSEAN-Burma (the Alternative ASEAN Network on Burma), a Bangkok-based human rights group, works with a broad range of organizations from Southeast Asia and beyond, to promote the cause of human rights and democracy in Burma. We have become well known for our campaign and advocacy activities, our publications, and our training programs.
We are looking for a multi-skilled intern to join our research team for 12 months. This role is a demanding one, with a heavy workload and minimal supervision. The intern will therefore have the job title ‘Researcher’ after their 3-month probation, and will be responsible, alongside other Researchers, for maintaining the output of the research team.
Members of the research team are sometimes required to work weekends, especially those coinciding with the end of month, to meet deadlines for our monthly bulletin. All staff and interns are expected to work a minimum of 40 hours per week, and often work more to complete tasks.
This position will suit an individual who is committed to accuracy in their work and has excellent attention to detail; is able to work under pressure and without supervision to meet deadlines; able to learn quickly and adapt to changing priorities; able to digest a high volume of information and retain the salient points; able to write clearly and coherently on complex subjects; has an excellent standard of written English; is comfortable working in close collaboration with a team of diverse people; able to maintain a sense of humor in their work, and committed to observing the strict security and administrative protocols of the office.
Candidates will be at an advantage if they have any or all of the following: Experience in human rights activism, advocacy, communications and website management; substantial exposure to Burma-related issues, and/or Burmese language skills; relevant academic background. Short-listed candidates will be required to submit a written assignment to assess their writing and editing skills, and the ability to analyze information.
- Research, write and edit articles for the monthly Burma Bulletin.
- Monitor Burmese and international media and extract key information.
- Research and write briefing papers and reports on Burma for use in national, UN and regional advocacy.
- Draft and edit press releases and open letters.
- Maintain the ALTSEAN-Burma website and social media presence.
- Attend relevant meetings and communicate with partner organizations, and document such meetings, if required.
- Participate as required in training activities.
- Other duties as directed.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- 12 month contract.
- Minimum of 40 working hours per week.
- 10 days of annual leave per year, plus selected Thai public holidays.
- Up to 10 days ‘visa leave', at discretion of Coordinator.
- Breakfast and lunch provided at the office on workdays.
- A three-month probationary period applies.
- During the probationary period, interns will be provided with subsidized single-room accommodation (excluding utilities above Thai baht 1,000) at the office or nearby, and a monthly allowance of Thai baht 11,000. Visa expenses (including visa run) will be reimbursed to a maximum of Thai baht 10,000 during probation.
- After satisfactory completion of the probation period, the remuneration package will be restructured to a total cash allowance of Thai baht 23,000, so that the intern will cover their own visa and accommodation expenses. At this point interns are able also to opt-in to the office-wide medical insurance package (which only covers in-patient healthcare). S/he will also receive a monthly health allowance of Thai baht 500 (subject to production of receipts for approved expenditure – medical, dental appointments, medicines, etc.).
The intern should cover their own travel to and from Thailand to take up this internship. This position may involve travel to conduct or assist with trainings on location along the Thai Burma border and potentially in other nearby countries. In such situations, ALTSEAN-Burma will cover logistics and expenses per the ALTSEAN-Burma Staff Manual.
The intern is required to comply with the ALTSEAN-Burma manual including respect for and adherence to the security precautions of the ALTSEAN-Burma Office.
Our team is made up of people from a broad range of backgrounds; therefore cultural sensitivity is a priority. The ALTSEAN-Burma Office is a non-smoking workplace.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested individuals should submit applications by email to email@example.com quoting the reference code INT/RES in the subject line.
The application must include:
* A duly filled Application Form (click to download here)
* A complete résumé / CV.
Applications submitted in any other format will not be considered. Short-listed candidates will be assigned a writing and fact-checking exercise as part of the recruitment process.